Department of Chemistry
About the Department
The Department of Chemistry, Serampore College is one of the premier Departments in the field of chemistry under University of Calcutta. The Department was established in 1870. The strength of the Department has been and continues to be excellence in teaching. The teachers of the Department are extremely qualified and motivated with a strong commitment to teaching.
The alumni of the Department occupy high positions in academia and industry in India and abroad. Their accomplishments have been outstanding and reflect on the quality training imparted at the undergraduate level.
- University of Calcutta recommended three years B.Sc.Honours Course
- University of Calcutta recommended three years B.Sc. General Course
Message of the H. O. D.
Thank you for visiting the Department of Chemistry’s web site at the Serampore College. We offer an educational experience in chemical sciences that is rich in challenges and opportunities for undergraduate students.
Chemistry is truly the central science and underpins much of the efforts of scientists and engineers to improve life for human kind.
The Department is also home to an incredibly gifted 7 faculties, who are devoted to a balance of teaching and service to the University and local community. As a matter of fact, I am proud to say “teacher-student” approach to academia is the norm for teachers in the Department. These dedicated faculty members also put-as one university slogan put it so appropriately –“Students first” when conducting their class room experiences. In short this is a fine place in which to live and pursue an educational goal.
Thank you for your interest in our programs.
- Dr. PRANAB DATTA GUPTA
- Dr. KUNAL ROY
- Mr. RUDRAKSHA NATH BHATTACHARYA
- Dr. DEBDEEP CHAKRABARTY ( Head of the Department )
- Dr. SUDIPTA CHATTERJEE
- Dr. SUBHASREE GHOSH
- Mr. TARUN KUMAR SAMANTA
- Mr. SANKAR DAS
- Mr. JAHAR DAS
- Mr. PRASANTA KUMAR MONDAL
- Mr. ABHIMANYU JENA
- Mr. UTTAM BEHARA (Casual)
Our Department has a well-equipped seminar library with around 250 standard text and reference books in different disciplines in chemistry. To issue books from the library the students need to fill up a membership form. Books are issued for 7 days only and a maximum of three books are issued per student. There is also a reading room for students to study the library books.
The Chemistry Department of the Serampore College is deeply committed to build interest in and appreciation of science within the community. We endeavour to find new ways to engage and enthuse the students at every level, from those at college or thinking of a career in sciences, to those who just want to know more about the part that chemistry plays in our daily lives. Our aim is to open up a door for the student to find out more about chemistry, how it works, and how it impacts their life. Our goals include facilitating communication between chemistry students and department offering seminar program for the graduate students and hosting social events throughout the year. Example of programs the department has been involved with include the following:
- Organizing the student hosted chemistry seminar series each year and weekly graduate student social hour.
- Annual seminar program in every year by renowned resource persons from premier institutes.
- Making an effort to improve student-student and student-teacher interaction via social event.
- Organizing parent-teacher meeting in every year.
- Although not a part of the formal academic curriculum, the corporate partners program by The Department offers unique opportunities for exposure to and interaction with the world of industrial science. Many students also offer excellent opportunities to make contact with representative of industrial research laboratory for which they would like to work. Coming from a top rank department, Serampore graduates are in an extremely competitive position in both the academic and industrial job market and recent graduates are also taken positions in reputed companies.
Our department is in the process of setting up Departmental Alumni Association.